Episode 17: Mindfulness
Mindfulness is something that has become popular, but a lot of people get frustrated when trying to be mindful. That's because a lot of people misunderstand the goals of mindfulness. Because mindfulness has a lot of benefits, it's helpful to learn how to do. In this episode, I discuss what mindfulness is, how to think about it, the benefits, and what you can do to be mindful.
- Tell yourself what to think about rather than what not to think about (e.g., "think of the color green" instead of "don't think of the color red")
- Pick something related to your senses to focus on (e.g., a smell, a sight, a taste, a sound)
- When a thought comes to mind, be ok with it, but then redirect your thoughts to the thing you're focusing on
- Consider practicing relaxation techniques at the same time (e.g., deep breathing)
- Incorporate mindfulness into your day-to-day routine (e.g., during your commute)
Also see my recent blog post about mindfulness.
Feedback for this podcast can be left at ddecator.com, where you can also find more content made by the host.
You can follow me on Twitter @d_decator.
If you listen to this podcast on iTunes, please consider leaving a rating and/or review!