Personal Life Update 8
Here it is, the new year. The end of last year was a chance to reflect on the past, and now is a good opportunity to look forward into the future. Several new things have started with the beginning of the new year, and it has already required some adjustment. But thankfully the opportunities are great, and things are set in place for a very productive year of professional development.
After having a much needed break for the holidays, my life got back to full speed very quickly. The new year has started with the following updates:
- My poster for the Society of Pediatric Psychology Annual Conference (SPPAC) was accepted, so I will be going to Atlanta in a few months to present that
- I am now an official moderator of the APA's Google+ community (and I'm learning just how many bots try to post...er..."random" videos to different places)
- My dissertation "core" committee has been finalized, so I can move forward with working on my proposal and getting that defended by the end of the academic year
- My term on the Society of Pediatric Psychology's student board has officially started, and I'll hopefully soon learn more about what tasks there will be to work on so I can begin contributing more actively
- My plans for clinical work going forward are becoming more finalized, and our program at DePaul has finally switched to a better time tracker that is now setup and I'm caught up on hour entry
- One of my manuscripts should hopefully be accepted for publication soon (got positive feedback on the first round of review), another is almost ready for submission, and a third is planned and will be started soon
- A Special Interest Group (SIG) that I'm a member of should be starting some exciting work soon
- A website that I contributed to that has a lot of resources for families, educators, and healthcare providers should be launching for the public very soon
- My podcast has been polished up a bit and should be continuing through the new year (expect a new episode tomorrow morning!)
And those are just the things that immediately come to mind. It's a lot going on, but it's all good news thankfully! My activity here has been slowed down a bit as I adjust to my new roles and schedule, but things are finally starting to settle down again.
It's not all about school, research, etc. though. Like many others, there are some things I'm hoping to work on this year outside of that realm. They may not happen right away (I try to time changes when they will be most likely to stick, rather than trying to time them with "fresh starts" like the new year), but I have them in mind. They include better self care (an ongoing thing in grad school life), regular dates with my wife, hopefully upgrading some of my tech, and a few other things. I won't go into too much detail now, but will instead mention them as I begin to work on them.
With the new year also comes a milestone: my first full year of having this site. Part of me is amazed that it has already been a year, but at the same time there have been a lot of changes and updates to this site throughout that year. The look and style has changed a few times (for the better) throughout that time, and now things are finally in a place that I'm generally happy with them. Going forward this year there may be some additional tweaks here and there as I add new content, but my hope is to put more focus on the content for this site instead of the appearance. That means blog posts, podcast episodes, more research and resources to share, and potentially something to sell. It's a lot to look forward to, and I'm excited to see how things develop throughout the year!
With all of that said, it's time for me to wrap up this post and get to work on some things. I think I've earned a bit of a break already, so today will be focused on things like cleaning, preparing, and relaxing. I've had my coffee (a new kind I'm trying and like so far) and some french toast (made by my wife who is amazing at cooking), so I'm energized and ready to go!
In terms of this site, let me know in the comments if you have any requests for content you would like to see. I have a list of ideas, but I want to create content that is as relevant as possible for my readers. So just let me know, and I'll do my best to provide!
Hope you've all had a wonderful start to the new year, and until next time, take care.